My friends and I were joking about how my next blog post is going to be about single problems. I’ve been debating on writing a blog post about this subject; it’s not really a topic I usually blog about. You see I am the master of being single. I’ve never been in a serious relationship like my other friends and because of this, I am considered ‘abnormal’. You have no idea how many times I’ve been asked, “so Laura, are you married yet?” No, I am not married yet but thanks for the constant reminder! #sarcasm. Fun fact, someone asked me this recently. It finally hit me after reading my friends tweets about parents/ relatives/ friends bugging them about their single status. So this is how I feel; you don’t have to agree with me but I hope you can see my point of view.
Since high school, I’ve been told/ asked the following statements:
“Laura you’re way too picky, you should lower your standards”
“You should probably get a Tinder account, that will get you a boyfriend”
“Are you gay?”
“It’s going to be harder for you to find someone the older you get”
“Is there something wrong with you?”
For those who ask these questions or make these statements, I am going to break it down for you.
1) I’ve questioned if I was too picky and I did lowered my standards. Do you know what that got me? Creepy guys that would sent me inappropriate text messages. What I learned from this is to not lower your standards. Your standards represent the type of person you would like to associate yourself with. Everyone has standards and everyone has the right to their standards.
2) Tinder works for some people, but I don’t feel comfortable using that. I would feel bad if I swiped left or right (which one is the no thank you swipe?!?) and would swipe everyone to the yes category. Then I would probably get the inappropriate messages again from some random person. So no it doesn’t work for everyone so stop trying to push Tinder on me. I will swipe whatever direction that means NO to you.
3) Why do people question someone’s sexual orientation because they’re single? Has anyone made the conclusion they’re single because they haven’t found someone to date???
4) First of all, thanks for basically saying I’m old even though I am 23. I tots appreciate that #sarcasm. Also I find this statement kind of sexist. I understand that I am getting older, but people say this to women more than men. I’ve heard people use the phrase, “men are like fine wine; the older they get, the better they are” but you never hear that phrase about females. Telling women their age is going to affect their dating life is extremely hurtful and completely false. Aging isn’t going to stop you from finding someone, it’s the mindset you put yourself in that’s going to affect your dating life.
5) For the “is there something wrong with you?” statement, I give you this gif
No there is nothing wrong with me, I’m awesome! But I do find it quite rude that you said that to me.
The best analogy I can give about relationships and marriage is “One Size Fits All”. That “one size fits all” top may fit one person but might not fit someone else. At this time of my life, marriage or being in a relationship is not on my mind. What’s on my mind is getting my degree and finding a job with good benefits. Now I don’t want to sound like I am banning relationships or marriage from my life because I’m not. Right now, it’s not my top priority. I think when you meet someone special it can definitely change that mindset. For me, I just haven’t met anyone that made me think, “You’re really interesting, I like you and I want to get to know you on a personal level”. Some people are just lucky when they meet someone and others have to keep searching.
For all of my single friends, don’t be sad that you’re not in a relationship. Instead, be happy about the other relationships you have. Hang out with your friends, volunteer with your community, talk with your family and enjoy life. This blog post is dedicated to all of the lonely Starbucks lovers, I raise my Starbucks cup to you. If you liked today’s post make sure to like, share and subscribe. For this summer I will be posting every Tuesday and Thursday. Until then, see you back here on Thursday!